Wednesday, June 22, 2011

What's your summer playlist?

I enjoyed Bobbie Barabas's ode to summer on yesterday's  "Classical with Bobbie Barabas" on 88.9 WCVE.  She included the obligatory "Summertime" from Gershwin's  Porgy and Bess, but left off the chestnut Summer from Vivaldi's The Four Seasons.

Here is a link to her playlist.  

I was so happy to hear Joseph Suk's "A Summer Tale," which I had never heard before.  It was luscious--really sort of eye-opening.  It is such a pleasure to hear something on the radio that re-invigorates your interest, your hope in finding "something you haven't heard before," especially something that sounds new and fresh to your ears. 
I heard much of Vincent d'Indy's "Summer Day on The Mountain" (Jour d'été à la montagne), before I had to bring my car in for brake work.

I missed Samuel Barber's Summer Music for Wind Quintet, so I'm listening to it right now (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KBOjvIhm2Cs).  Don't be a snob!  Youtube makes it possible for people who have almost no money to dive deeply into the ocean of music!  After that, I'm listening to Barber's Knoxville: Summer of 1915, or maybe Sibelius's 2nd Symphony...or the 5th.

What music evokes summertime for you?  Perhaps it is music that is directly evocative of summer's sounds and atmosphere--the heat, mosquitoes, air laden with too much perfume.  Perhaps it is music whose lyrics lead you languidly down an overgrown path.  Or maybe there is some important something in music history I'm forgetting.  Did Beethoven write the Pastoral Symphony during the summer?  

Oh, just say "anything by Debussy..."

Leave replies in comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment